ATTENTION COLLEGE AND GRADUATE STUDENTS:
The ADL New York Region’s Internship Program provides professional development training for college and graduate school students seeking real-life experience in the non-profit sector. It is an unpaid internship with the opportunity to receive college credit and/or community service credit.
The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) is the world’s leading organization fighting anti-Semitism and bigotry and protecting civil rights with its timeless mission: “to stop the defamation of the Jewish people and to secure justice and fair treatment for all.” The ADL New York Region office, overseen by Regional Director Evan Bernstein, serves all of New York State with anti-bias educational programs, advocacy work, and interfaith/intergroup initiatives. The regional office is comprised of 18 professional and administrative staff and is housed in ADL’s national headquarters.
Now accepting applications for the following open positions
Development: Summer & Fall 2018
Regional Ops: Fall 2018
Education: Fall 2018
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Option #1: Development Internship
Assist in day-to-day operations for the New York Region, including, but not limited to:
- Assist with the development and coordination of regional cultivation and fundraising events.
- Support the research and writing of digital content, including newsletters, e-blasts, social media campaigns and website content.
- Help to maintain donor files and record keeping through Microsoft Excel and our Donor software database.
- Conduct research on foundation and corporate prospects, peer organizations, and funding opportunities.
- Write/draft proposal drafts and LOIs and assist with the preparation/submission of applications.
- Help recruit program participants and assist in the implementation of workshops/trainings.
- Assist with organization and upkeep of event and donor files.
Option #2: Regional Operations Internship
- Shadow the respective manager and designated colleague(s) to gain a real-world work experience and a greater understanding of ADL’s work related to combating anti-Semitism, building interfaith partnerships and various initiatives with members of the law enforcement community.
- Read print and electronic media outlets connected to ADL’s mission.
- Under direct supervision, conduct research, prepare memos and letters and draft meeting minutes in order to gain experience in the implementation of community service work.
- Participate in special projects in the fields of civil rights, international affairs, education and management.
- Create and manage contact information lists.
- Assist with processing expense reports and managing grants.
- Assist with creating and compiling materials for programs, events, and presentations.
Option #3: Education Internship
The New York Education Department Intern will work closely with regional education staff on the implementation of the No Place For Hate (NPFH) program –an initiative designed to create inclusive communities and empower schools to challenge all forms of bigotry.
- Provide administrative support to the regional education team:
- Serve as a liaison to No Place For Hate Coordinators
- Maintain lists for periodic communications to clients and potential clients
- Respond to program inquiries via email
- Socialize ADL’s Education resources via Instagram, Facebook and Twitter
- Identify and capture participant impact stories for integration in educational content and funding proposals to expand educational programming.
- Student in undergraduate or graduate degree program
- Minimum GPA of 3.3
- Interested in ADL’s mission
- Available to work approximately 2-3 days/week with flexible hours
- Volunteer/community service experience
- Ability to multi-task
- Research and analytical skills
- Quick learner, demonstrates initiative, team player
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Outlook and Excel
- Ability to complete advanced formatting, layout, and mail merge tasks
- Ability to manage and manipulate large amounts of data in Excel
- Knowledge of operation of standard office equipment e.g. fax machine, phones and photocopier
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Professional demeanor.
Preferred but not required
- Previous internship experience
- Leadership role at university club/group